3.26.2007

Which Bach Suite......

to work on next?

Well Spring is kind of here (raining buckets today) and just trying to figure out what to do next musically.

[Got the non-musical things covered: spring cleaning-barely started, pressure cooker-used it twice (feel like I'm living the dangerous life), workout-starting etc. etc. oh yes it's still a toy store in the living room!]

I always keep coming back to the Bach Suites. Love the pieces. When I moved to Vermont and was not allowed to play professionally, I would comfort myself by playing the First and Third Suites over and over. And then started to practice them in great detail. Finally two years later when I could play again for an audience, these two suites were the new cornerstone of my repertoire.

But now it's time to learn something new. Have already played the D- and the C- (this one badly) as well. So it's between no. 4 and no. 6.

Leaning towards the Fourth. Contemplative. Beautiful. But it's in E flat. And almost everything I've done lately has been in this key. Maybe it's the way I'm feeling. Keys have different moods for me. And E flat is very comforting right now.

Then there's the Sixth Suite. Extroverted. Exuberant. Difficult technically. Usually in D often played by violists in G.

Very curious what people think.....

3 comments:

viola power said...

I'd go with the Eb. That prelude is a workout, and if you've got the tonality already in you ear, why mess with it? You'll probably learn it faster now that you've had this gigantic festival of Eb.

Don Maurice has all these neat ideas about scordatura tuning and the Bach Suites, like playing the 3rd with your viola tuned CGCG. I hadn't really thought about doing a scordatura on the Eb suite, but that might be a fun way to kill some brain cells one day.

Have a fabulous day!

Asterix said...

Very curious what people think....

Indeed. Some think that they're not the work of Johann at all:

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2006/s1617989.htm

Enjoy!

Liz said...

Hi Chuck,

Thank's for the link...love the Aussie connection!

There is also a lot of people that think Einstein's wife came up with all his great theories. I'll read about Bach.

(actually I have a copy of the Bach suites in AM's hand)