3.25.2007

Quiz time!

Okay it's been a crazy week.

A few things have happened.

A. My youngest son decided to be "two". [This is to be expected since he will be two in 6 weeks] Much climbing and jumping on high surfaces as a result. More gray hairs for his mom. And not much sitting down. Actually none during the day.

B. We're all battling a low grade virus. Which makes A. more difficult......and emails, and eating etc. etc.

now for good...

C. I have found a solution for the problem that broadsided me last month. Thanks to everyone for all your support.

D. Spring is finally here. Hello Mud Season!

E. I've been tagged by the amazing Jen of Adventures of an Idaho Violist for this cool quiz from Soho the Dog.

Not sure if I can tag anyone....well maybe in the First Life. Maybe everyone can just go over to Soho the Dog and post in his comments....

Now on to the quiz!

1. Name an opera you love for the libretto, even though you don't particularly like the music.

I'm actually embarrassed to say this....when I listen to music even pop songs, I don't really listen to lyrics. Have to think about that one....

Actually an easier question would be to name an opera you love for the music, although the libretto is cheesy. And I would say....most of them!

2. Name a piece you wish Glenn Gould had played.

Prokofiev's Third Concerto.

(You know he's Canadian so I'm biased. I was very sad when he died and I was eleven years old). Like the eccentricity!

3. If you had to choose: Charles Ives or Carl Ruggles?

Ives.

4. Name a piece you're glad Glenn Gould never played.

None....wish he played much more. (You know he's Canadian?)

5. What's your favorite unlikely solo passage in the repertoire?

For me it's the *tiny* viola solo in Gershwin's "American in Paris". It is *eight* notes (after the English horn solo) but I love it. Although my violin-centric husband never seems to notice.....

6. What's a Euro-trash high-concept opera production you'd love to see? (No Mortier-haters get to duck this one, either—be creative.)

Can't answer this one. Not my expertise. Sorry.

7. Name an instance of non-standard concert dress you wish you hadn't seen.

Chains and piercings in an early music concert.

8. What aging rock-and-roll star do you wish had tried composing large-scale chorus and orchestra works instead of Paul McCartney?

I prefer none. However, Mick Jagger could prove interesting. For chorus works.

9. If you had to choose: Carl Nielsen or Jean Sibelius?

Sibelius.

10. If it was scientifically proven that Beethoven's 9th Symphony caused irreversible brain damage, would you still listen to it?

Yes, yes, yes.....but maybe when I'm eighty.

1 comment:

viola power said...

I am having this fabulous vision of an all Mick Jagger chorus...