11.13.2007

Day 13-no shame

I am getting so callous and desensitized to the voice recorder, that I will even record ahem, sight reading...

And laugh at my note mistakes and bad shifting in the Caprice no. 31. And dropping my bow 10 measures before the end.

(A quirk...tend to do this at least once a month. Fortunately only once in performance 15 years ago. Unfortunately it was the last part of Britten's Lachrymae. Every violist will know what I'm talking about...though I did catch the bow in midair. But it wrecked the emotional oomph of the piece.)

I guess this is all fine and very different from 7 years ago. Then I was preparing for an audition and I put myself on a practice plan. Got this idea from the fabulous and basically unknown book, Performing Your Best by Tom Kubistant. He talks about the performance cycle and training for each part of the cycle. It's wonderful and I modified it for using it in preparation for concerts. Seems to add to sense of more time...

When I felt like I knew the orchestral excerpts very well, I would steel myself for the recording session. And take a day off before the recording and a day after. Dreading hearing the result. I treated it like a special event. And in retrospect it wasn't.

It's also interesting to see how short the recording sections have been during the last thirteen days. Usually around 45 seconds and never more than three minutes. And I dreaded that at the beginning? Guess some things take up more space in the mind than in real life.

This shamelessness is translating to Facebook. On a friend adding frenzy...

See you tomorrow for Day 14. Realize now that I could go to a Day 17.

Should I?

No comments: