11.28.2007

Day 18-scraping the bottom of the barrel

When I decided to do the recording challenge, I didn't have this concert booked at the time. And with the weather being as bad as it is, commuting times have been very long.

Recorded only one thing yesterday, the chorus no. 39 from the Messiah. A part I was rushing and not anymore. And will do a similar thing today (hence the title of today's post). Now that I am working on rhythm intensely, I notice and get irritated with other people's rushing, in this case the strings with eight note pickups and running sixteenths. And I also beginning to notice that the best musicians really have the pulse on all the time. The conductor for one. The tenor soloist another. Even during the bass singer's aria, I noticed him tapping the pulse in half measures. And it shows in his singing. He has what I call the "zip" and it is compelling.

Too tired to write anymore. Time to have lunch and take a nap.

Will record today and write again tomorrow. Please send me sleepy thoughts after midnight Eastern tonight-but not before. Thank you.

No comments: