10.30.2007

Thoughts on NoBoPoMo this year

Basically I can't do it. Since I won't be at a computer every day this month. In fact November and December are the worst month because our family travels a lot. For me February would be a much better choice. Lots of snow days and it *is* the shortest month after all...

Anyway with the mood I'm in these days, the best choice for me would be the Cranky Bloggers Group (thank you Miriam for showing me the link!). Though I don't know if anyone would want to read my words of "grr", "blah" and "argh" over and over on the page. It may get a tad bit tedious after day 4 (or Day 0.25).

Still thinking of the advice from one of my viola teachers saying not to be in love with one's problems. It's time to be solution oriented and not avoid things.

So I think as an alternative, I'll do what I've been saying since last May I should do. Record my viola playing every day for the first 15 days of November and then from November 25 to to November 30.

It won't get a nice little sticker for this blog. But just maybe I can finally get more co-ordinated with running sixteenths passages ("noodles"). Or maybe time the shifts better. This morning I bought a basic voice digital recorder. It's doesn't record any pretty tone colour at all. But pitch and rhythm will be captured.

And of course this time I should be accountable to you, dear blog reader, and posting how it went that day. If I am successful at doing this for the above days, then I will buy this for myself for a combined birthday/Christmas present.

The funny thing I was going to do this a few months ago with Audacity. But I didn't do it probably but the laptop turned out not to be very portable for recording. And then the computer motherboard fried in September and I didn't reinstall it on the new computer. It is a great program and I do recommend it-however right now I need something more basic. Sound quality will wait...rhythm can't.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is Anna again....

I bought an Ipod a while back, a 30GB one. You can get a mic attachment and it has a lot of memory so you can basically record up to about 14 hours on it. I wouldn't recommend it above a Zoom because you can't edit tracks and basically it's only useful as a study tool, but the real pro is the amount of memory, so you don't need to lug around your laptop with you. I brought it up to Parry Sound and recorded several hours up there without needing to back it up, or even think about it. It's also excellent for uploading recordings that you may have on CD, etc.

But I've heard great things about Zooms and Edirols and I think I'll definitely invest in one of those next time.

A